Image Attribution

(Owlet header image found via a Google Image search, and came from Etsy artist Bestiary Ink)

24 August 2011

Kindred

I've shared this story with a few friends already today, but I figured it's such a good one it deserves posting anyway, so I apologize if this is a repeat for you...

Yesterday I got home from work and had to make a Target run. I needed dog food and a birthday present for my best friend's daughter and some other random things, along with whatever else would undoubtedly catch my eye because, come on, it’s Target--you know I’m not walking out with less than $100 worth of goodies, right? Right.

Anyway, so I come home with five Target bags and a giant bag of dog food (because the giant bags were on super sale, so… obviously), and I get in the elevator, and there’s this teeny tiny super old, hunched-over, swollen-ankled lady in the elevator. She’s basically as old-school (er—old-world, maybe—my building’s full of eastern Europeans) as it comes. Thick dark beige panty hose, calf-length thick brown summer wool skirt, blouse tucked in, cardigan, hair done. She’s easily in her mid-80s, I’d say. And very sweet. And so old (you'll understand my fixation on her aged-ness in a moment). And, side bar, I love when old women still “dress for the day,” right?! I mean, it was 7:00p.m. and she was still dressed for the day. I hope I'm that lady one day. Anyway, she asks for my floor and I tell her. And then, as we’re riding up in polite silence with occasional polite smiles at each other, I realize she has something very big in her hands. I sneak a peek, and what is it? What could it be? What could this sweet old eastern European lady in my building be carrying up at 7:00p.m. on a Tuesday evening?

...
...

...

...



The Fall Fashion issue of Vogue, that's what. And now I’m in love with her. (Per my friend A's suggestion, I'm going to attempt to befriend this woman so that I can go through what I anticipate is an amazing collection of vintage Vogues, which I assume she keeps in chronological order on the massive bookshelves lining her living room walls... just imagine!)


No comments:

Post a Comment