Image Attribution

(Owlet header image found via a Google Image search, and came from Etsy artist Bestiary Ink)

25 April 2011

Honeycomb Design

It's no secret that I a) watch a lot of television, b) love reality TV, and c) can weep at the drop of a hat (or at the sight of a touching commercial even), so it it should not be that big of an insight into my makeup that I enjoy Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. I enjoy it for the tears and for the good, warm, happy feeling you get when you see people at their happiest. I love the tears so much, that I know if I need a good cry, I should just go online or to my On-Demand and watch an episode and I'll be good for a while! But I also love it for the design -- the homes that the teams create for their deserving features are just overflowing with creativity, and ingenuity, and customized beauty. This week's episode had such a great idea in it that I went on a hunt to find images, so I can try to recreate it.

The host, Ty Pennington, described the mother of the family as a Queen Bee protecting her hive. Back story: she was a foster mother who ultimately adopted five girls she was fostering so as not to break siblings apart, and on top of that, she feeds, clothes, and visits the homeless in her area, all at her own expense. All of those people (her girls and the individuals on the streets that she cares for) are her hive. So Ty designed the master suite with the theme of the Queen Bee as his inspiration. The honeycomb pattern took the lead. It was the design detail in the headboard:

(ABC)
as well as in the nightstands:

(ABC)
as well as in other details throughout the room, including linens.

But most impactful to me was this beautiful framing system he and his team created on the wall:

(ABC)
I love how the family fits in, and that there's room to add more photos as life evolves for this family. I love the organic nature of the piece, and the way the individual "cells" are connected on nearly all sides to each other. There's so much strength and symbolism in the honeycomb as a concept, and I love it. I would love to recreate something like this in my own bedroom... or to utilize the skills of some of my craftier and more talented friends to make it happen for me! It's just really so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment