Image Attribution

(Owlet header image found via a Google Image search, and came from Etsy artist Bestiary Ink)

03 May 2011

Feel-Good Art

Seriously suffering in the inspiration/motivation department this week... feeling inexplicably slow, draggy, blah, and path/direction-less. But this post on Metal & Mud this morning opened my eyes a bit wider.

There are lots of really cool art sites out there... favorites include 20x200, Etsy, and any of the artists' sites I'm finding by clicking from blog post to blog post day by day (my "Art" label at the bottom of this post will lead you to my own previous postings on some of these). So this could be "just another" cool art blog... except that it's more! It combines beautiful art with beautiful causes. In a time and moment when the world feels at once scary, overwhelming, dangerous, mighty, expansive, exciting, and somehow within and without of reach, I'm finding that my way of managing that multiplicity might mean connecting with pieces of this world that matter to me personally. Helping everyone is hard, but giving is easy, especially if you can find a way to make your giving meaningful.

(by Blanca Gomez, for Doctors Without Borders)
(by Sharon Montrose, for Pablove Foundation)
"The Working Proof seeks to promote art and social responsibility. Each print is paired with a charity of the artist's choice, to which we are donating 15% of the sale of each print - creating what we believe to be a product with not just aesthetic, but social value. Besides showcasing emerging artists and great artwork, the intent of the Working Proof is to promote a variety of charities and to expose them to new supporters through the appreciation of art and creativity. We release a new print once a week, on Tuesdays at 1:30 pm, EST." (here)


I thought I might just re-post the Metal & Mud post, but then I spent a good while (a requisite work break!) picking and poking my way through the site. You can browse all posted art, or by artist, or by charity. You can find a charity that speaks to you, and then see the art available for purchase to support it. And it's affordable! Print prices range from $25-$100. And you can sort your browsing by price so that you won't be tempted out of your budget.

(by Wendy Marchbanks for Smile Train)
I am moved by the artists who open their hearts and talents for such beautiful and deserving organizations worldwide. I am touched at the accessibility of gifting in such a self-satisfying (home-enhancing) way.



Creativity. Charity. Community. These are all elements I believe I could use more of in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment